Thursday, December 07, 2006


Well it’s another chilly day here in Kansas City. This blog seems to have turned into a “what’s different between the UK and the USA”. Well, one thing that is very different is the weather. Typically in the UK you might expect the temperature to drop below 0 degrees Celsius in winter, maybe you get the odd -2 or -3 day but not here in Kansas City!! Right now I would love it to be zero degrees.
When I got into my car this morning the temperature was -12 degrees. For a Brit not used to these temperatures that’s mighty cold. I drove the first few minutes laughing out loud at how cold it was. I think I was going a little insane, I just couldn’t get warm!! When I got to work the car had not reached full temperature. Usually that would happen after a few minutes of driving. Stepping out of the car I experienced the other chilling factor here in KC, wind chill. The stiff breeze dropped the temperature another few degrees. I think it was probably the coldest I have ever been and that’s including various skiing trips up lots of cold mountains.
It’s good fun though. The weather in the UK can be a bit bland. It’s not often you get exciting weather. So far this month I have experienced a foot of snow falling in four hours and temperatures below -12. Apparently this weekend is going to be sunny and warm again. It really is all over the place. A few friends at work have warned me today won’t be the coldest day. Each year there is usually a day that goes below -20. That should be fun!! It’s actually a bit dangerous walking around in those sorts of temperatures. Any moisture on your exposed skin will freeze. Happy times.
Well, that’s the end of my weather report. It’s safe to say Kansas City and the UK are very different when it comes to weather.

1 Comments:

Blogger Hywel Mallett said...

This blog seems to have turned into a “what’s different between the UK and the USA”.
Maybe that's what some people like about it.

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home