Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving & Football

Yesterday was Thanksgiving day here in the USA. It’s a big national holiday where people go and visit their families and have a large turkey dinner. Once everyone is full of food the sleeping drugs in the turkey kick in and they all chill out and watch the NFL football games that are on TV. This year there were three games back to back. About 9 hours of American football. Plenty for the hard core fan.
We were lucky enough to be invited round to a friends house to take part in their Thanksgiving. Another tradition is to go out before eating and play a little Football. I had never tried this before. I have watched on TV and thought it doesn’t look too difficult but then most things on TV look easier than they are. After meeting up with our friends we headed over to a local football field to have a crack at kicking a field goal. How hard could it be? The professionals on TV can put the ball between the posts from 50 – 60 yards on a good day. When I got to the field and stood 50 yards from the goals there was no way in a million years I would be able to do that. We started out at the 20 yard line and had a go. I think I was hitting about 1 in 5 from the 20. Not bad for a first go. Once we pushed back to the 30 yard line I could still reach the goal but my accuracy was getting worse, probably hitting 1 in 8. Another 5 yards back and that was it. Couldn’t hit a cows arse with a spade from there. I had to put in so much effort to try and reach that my accuracy went out the window.
Hats off to the professional who make it look so simple. They really have perfected their skills. Next time I see a 60 yard field goal completed I will have much more respect. It’s not as easy as it looks!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home