Sunday, January 07, 2007

The NFL playoffs.

Since I am living in Kansas City I have decided to support the local NFL team the Kansas City Chiefs. This season they just made it to the playoffs relying heavily on other teams results. Yesterday I watched their playoff game and unfortunately they got hammered. I think it was the worst performance I have ever watched. I have to admit I don't fully understand the game yet but I could see they were awful.
The big thing I have noticed about the NFL is the attention span required to watch a game. I am used to watching an English football match with two 45-minute halves. Each half runs without a break. An NFL game has a burst of play, maybe two minutes then there is a commercial break. A 15-minute quarter might last 20 - 30 minutes. As a result you find yourself watching the game and doing other things. Emailing friends, cooking lunch etc and you don't miss anything. I can see why Americans will never get into English soccer, they simply don't have the attention span for it and the advertisers couldn't cope with a 15-minute break at half time and nothing else.
The NFL is exciting to watch. Americans really know how to put on a show but that’s the feel it has. It’s more like a Westend show than a sports event. It doesn’t have the raw sports feel of a Premiership football match. Each to their own I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home