Thursday, August 24, 2006

I have been a bit slack on the blog recently so thought I would do a quick update from Kansas City. It's been boiling hot here the last few weeks. Temperatures have been over 40 degrees most days and my British body isn't used to it. The weekends are great when I can wear shorts and relax but going to work in trousers and a shirts isn't so much fun. Air conditioning is a must over here. I feel sorry for the people who can't afford it. You see them on the news from time to time and it looks tough.
I had my first experience of the US medical system a few weeks back. It's very different to the UK and it really makes you appreciate the system in the UK.

Over here if you don't have insurane you are in a bit of trouble. I damaged my knee playing football and wanted to get it checked out. Every person I spoke to, Doctor, Receptionist etc always asked if I had insurance and if they could see my insurance card. Each time I wondered what they would say if I say I didn't have insurance. I have heard of horror stories over here of people having to sell their houses after uninsured major surgery. Not much fun at all.
Once I got to see the Doc he X-Rayed my knee and ankle and it all looked good. No broken bones so I am now on a course of physio which is going well. I go for a half hour torture session three times a week and I think its really helping. The physio either gives me electrix shocks on the muscles or does a deep tissue massage. Both a bit painful but have great results.

That's about it for now. I have managed to get free Chiefs tickets for the NFL game this weekend so I might post about that if its exciting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home